Sunday, October 13, 2013

Learning the Georgian language

The Georgian language is not an easy one. For one thing, the Georgia alphabet is not in Roman script.  So, I am learning the alphabet very slowly.  I look at the letters and try to figure them out.  I feel as I am one of the cast  in Sesame Street.. except I am doing it in Georgian.

I know just a few words.  I have a bad habit of confusing thank you (madlobat) with hello (garmajobat.)
So often I have said for thank-you, hello.  About a couple of days ago at the local grocery, I  said several times, garmajobat, garmajobat--hello, hello--instead of thank-you (madlobat) after receiving my change at the check out counter.   The look from the young woman clerk was a puzzling one.  But.. I am getting better.

Regardless,  this is the way you learn.. When I was living in Turkey, I was constantly getting words wrong.. but eventually I have acquired a somewhat working knowledge of Turkish.

My favorite story, which my friends love.. was one time a taxi driver asked my name.. I told him and then he said his name was Garip.. I thought he said he had grip (flu) and said "getmis olsun (may it pass quickly)  He was kind of shocked, but I corrected my mistake soon.

I am not afraid to make mistakes and often I crack myself up.  You have to take things lightly sometimes and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment